The Red Oak Public Library
started out in the basement of the Houghton State Bank over 100 years
ago. By 1909, with the help of Andrew Carnegie the library would have a
permanent home at the corner of 2nd Street and Washington Avenue.
As the use of the library grew, additions to the structure would follow
in 1924, 1959, and 2009. These 3 additions were wonderful gifts from
the Herbert C. Lane family (1924), from Virginia Kelly (1959), and from
numerous donors and grants (2009).